Visualisation has creative energy that few other intellectual human factors can match. If you know how to use anticipatory visualisation technique to your advantage, you can dislodge anxiety in the brain.
Your negative thoughts, feelings, imaginations and your avoidance mechanism conspired together over time to programme your emotional mind for anxiety. To overcome anxiety, you will need the same elements; thoughts, feelings, imaginations and avoidance mechanism, all engaged positively using anticipatory visualisation.
You need to keep all these four elements positive for a certain amount of time until their positive energies eventually dismantle the old anxiety programming. Once this happens, they then rewire the emotional mind and the brain for calm and tranquillity. This is one of the most important principles for the F.E.A.R. model recovery guide that I have taught around the UK and beyond.
Here are a few steps that you can start taking immediately towards transformation:
Anticipatory Visualisation Technique
Anticipatory visualisation is a powerful tool to harness all the recovery elements that I mentioned above to make your transformation happen:
Now, how does it really work?
Before you get out of bed in the morning and before you fall asleep at night, set aside about 2-3 minute to observe the following steps:
Transform Anxiety with Anticipatory Visualisation (13 Steps)
- Think about all the events, people and situations that often trigger your anxiety symptoms and which you are likely to face on the day, or the following day if you are doing this activity at bedtime.
- Take one event/situation at a time. Start with the one that seems to have more negative impacts on you.
- Sit or lie comfortably. Breathe in and out five times. At the same time, visualise your entire muscles relaxing.
- Let your mind drift ahead into the day and visualise yourself in this situation being in total control. Instead of being anxious, panicky or looking for avoidances, imagine yourself as calm, relaxed and fully in control.
- Vividly create a confidence and relaxed YOU in your imagination. This is important. Create a clear picture of yourself exhibiting the positive attitude that demonstrates self-confidence, composure and exquisite poise.
- Enjoy this positive envisioning for as long as possible. Connect emotionally with your visualisation. Feel the positive feelings that generally accompany being confident, relaxed and in full control. This is the most important part. You must experience a new positive emotion here. Feeling good, relaxed, and positive is the most powerful creative energy that forces your subconscious mind to readapt itself permanently to your desired outcome. Feel the joy, the excitement and a huge sense of victory and satisfaction.
- While you are still enjoying this visualisation with positive feelings, re-enforce the following affirmation into your subconscious mind repeatedly: “I am perfectly healthy, confident and always in control.” You can always customise this statement to go with any situation that you are visualising. For example, if you are visualising the meeting that is coming up at some point in the day, you may say something of this nature: I am totally relaxed, fully in control. I think, speak and relate with others with calm and confidence.”
- If you identify more than one potentially anxiety-generated situations for the day, you must go through all of them in your visualisation. Bring them one after the other into the platform of your imagination and visualise yourself executing each activity perfectly and with great calm and composure.
- Do this daily. Many people fail because they quit the recovery steps after a few tries. You must show discipline and persistence to keep on doing this every day and night, and consistently. It takes time for the brain to destroy your old anxiety wiring and reconstruct itself for calm and tranquillity. You may not see any changes at the start. If you keep going you will surely know it when you turn a corner towards your transformation.
- Make anticipatory visualisation your daily habit. Do it at every opportunity. Get your mental energy prepared for challenges before they become obvious. Shape your victory in the imagination before it become your reality.
- Believe your visualisation. Without a reasonable amount of self-belief and faith in your visualisation-activities, no transformation is possible. Your belief actually creates your eventual reality. When you visualise yourself in a perfect state, believe it. Believe that what you are seeing in your imagination is a possibility in reality. Expect it, then you will see it happen in time.
- Eat and drink regularly, especially early in the morning. Your brain uses a huge amount of blood sugar when you are asleep. It is, therefore, likely that you will wake up with low blood sugar level. When you are low on blood sugar, your body goes into a survival mode automatically. Your flight or fight response is triggered, leading to several stress hormones flooding your bloodstream. This is why you are more likely to wake with morning anxiety. Keep a snack on your bedside to top up your sugar level straightaway when you wake up. During the day, do not go for too long without eating or drinking anything at all. This simple act can help tremendously in your quest for transformation from anxiety.
- Be patient. It has taken many years to ingrain your anxiety into the fabric of your brain and into the deeper part of your emotional mind. Therefore, your total transformation won’t happen overnight. It will take patience and relentless commitment to the above action steps. If you can be patient while committing to daily positive actions as suggested, you will achieve your desired transformation. This was how I overcame my anxiety and began to help sufferers around the world achieve transformation. Your success story is next.